All of us women love to carry handbags, and not just as a style statement. A handbag is the key to having everything at your fingertips; as the Boy Scouts say, “Be Prepared” – and with a handbag you are!
Of course, there are times when less is more and whether it be the contents of your handbag or in general life, minimalist living has its rewards and is very liberating. We can become too encumbered with “stuff”. It can be incredibly frustrating to have to rummage through an over-laden handbag for that one elusive item. Organization is imperative for a calm and happy life.
So what are the essentials every woman should have in her handbag every day?
- Wallet or Coin Purse
- Driver’s License or ID
- Credit Cards
- At least a little cash for emergencies
- Rewards Cards for Favorite Stores
- Membership Cards (Library, Gym)
- Health Related Cards
- Cell Phone
- Keys (House, Car, Letterbox) on a Keychain
- Only carry those you really need to have with you at all times
- Keychain Light
- Small travel pack of Kleenex
- Small Cosmetic Bag
- Cosmetic Mirror
- Lipstick or Gloss for the day
- Band Aids
- Four Aspirin/Advil/ Tylenol
- Feminine Hygiene products for a day
- Breath Mints/Mouth Freshener
- Pen and Notebook
- Reading Glasses
- Comb/Small Hairbrush
If space permits (depending on the size of your genuine leather handbag), you may also choose to carry with you a travel size perfume, travel size hand lotion, and a personal organizer. Be aware that you don’t want your handbag to be overloaded.
So, the question that begs to be asked: what should NOT be kept in your handbag?
- Loose change or anything else floating about the bottom of the handbag
- Nail polish
- Old receipts
The added benefit of streamlining your handbag contents to the essentials is that it makes it much easier to swap between handbags depending on your mood, your fashion ensemble, and the occasion.
You may find there are times (evening outings, for example) when you can get away with the barest of essentials: coin purse, cell phone, ID, Credit Card, house key and Kleenex.
Is it time for you to re-evaluate the contents of your handbag?